By Nick Watson
GAINESVILLE, Ga. — The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has determined all six workers killed in the Jan. 28 Foundation Food Group leak died by asphyxia from liquid nitrogen exposure, according to the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office announced the results of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s autopsies Friday, March 12.
Six died and a total 12 people were hospitalized following the leak at the Memorial Park Drive poultry processing plant.
- Jose DeJesus Elias-Cabrera, 45, of Gainesville
- Corey Alan Murphy, 35, of Clermont
- Nelly Perez-Rafael, 28, of Gainesville
- Saulo Suarez-Bernal, 41, of Dawsonville
- Victor Vellez , 38, of Gainesville
- Edgar Vera-Garcia, 28, of Gainesville
Representatives and family for all six workers have filed wrongful death lawsuits in Gwinnett County against the chemical company responsible for the liquid nitrogen system.
Firefighters were more recently called out to the Gainesville poultry processing plant on Thursday, March 11 in response to a potential refrigerant leak, but after review, no hazards were found.