SALISBURY, Md. — Perdue Farms has released its fiscal year 2019 “Company Stewardship Report,” highlighting a year of advancements in making organic chicken more accessible, building momentum in its industry-leading animal care commitments, and progress toward 2022 environmental sustainability targets. The report also highlights progress made in the key areas of diversity and inclusion, associate well-being and support for communities and business partners.
“Despite being a much larger and more complex company then we were when my grandfather started the business almost 100 years ago, we continue to strive to be the best through our vision of being “the most trusted name in food and agricultural products,” said Jim Perdue, company chairman. “As we enter our second century in 2020, we strive to align our practices with the values of our stakeholders and, in doing so, act with responsibility. That’s the foundation of our corporate stewardship platform: ‘We believe in responsible food and agriculture®’.”
Among the company accomplishments in FY19 included:
- Food — The company continued to demonstrate its leadership in organic chicken with the introduction of the Perdue® Simply Smart® Organics chicken line.
Niman Ranch introduced four new sausages to expand frozen and no-sugar offerings.
Coleman Natural Foods® introduced the Budweiser® BBQ Collection, high quality meats featuring the iconic Budweiser lager beer taste Americans know and love, the company noted.
- Environment — Perdue made progress toward achieving 2022 goals for reductions in greenhouse gases, water use and solid waste by:
Reducing greenhouse gas intensity by 4.8 percent.
Reducing our water use intensity by 6.9 percent.
Decreasing our solid waste sent to landfills to 74.5 percent.
- Animal care — Continued to make progress on a journey of continuous improvement by:
Achieving Tier Two ranking — the second best — in the global 2018 Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare for the second year in a row, the leading global measure of animal welfare, which provides third-party validation of the company’s progress in improving animal care.
Engaging animal welfare advocacy groups, animal care researchers, customers and farmers at the company’s third annual Animal Care Summit
Bringing higher welfare standards to live bird handling to reduce stress and the risk of injury while improving bird comfort, beginning at the farm
Working with farmers to create better poultry house enrichments that allow chickens to do what they do naturally – act like chickens
- Diversity and inclusion — Hosted the company’s first Diversity and Inclusion Forum on a continuous journey to move beyond diversity to inclusion and earned a spot among the Forbes list of “Best Employers for Diversity.”
- Hunger relief — Donated more than 6.8 million pounds of food (5.7 million meals) to support hunger relief across the U.S. as part of our nearly two-decades-long partnership with Feeding America.
- Associate education — Invested in a companywide accredited high school diploma program at no cost to associates.
The report is available at www.responsiblefoodandagriculture.com. More information about the company can be obtained at www.perduefarms.com.